Are you tired, wired and can’t sleep? Research proves that acupuncture can help.
- Are you stressed?
- Do you get angry because you are tired?
- Get cold sores?
- Suffer from irritable bowels?
- Are you exhausted?
- Catch everything going?
- Have you stopped exercising?
- Started to eat too much rubbish food?
- Eating chocolate?
- Drinking stimulating drinks to give you energy.
- Do you suffer from afternoon tiredness?
Them you might not be getting enough sleep or can’t sleep, or wake early and can’t go back to sleep!
When you don’t sleep your energy is low, everything is a slog. Did you know, you need energy to sleep, to allow your body to relax and switch off? This doesn’t happen if you are overtired and don’t have any energy to sleep. A good example of this; if you have a late night and feel tired the next day and you think an early night, but when you get into bed you cannot sleep because you do not have the energy to sleep.
How many times have you be lying on the couch watching TV trying to keep your eyes open trying not to fall asleep, or do fall asleep for 20 minutes, then go to bed looking forward to a really lovely sleep? But you can’t you are wide awake thinking about everything and nothing, worrying about work, relationships, money. Or you are tossing and turning trying to get comfortable, you are too hot or too cold, have cold or hot feet and restless legs. This can be very frustrating and can become a vicious cycle.
Be aware of over stimulating the brain before you go to bed. This is one of the downsides to modern technology, so being on your computer, laptop, on Facebook, Twitter, playing Xbox or play station just before you go to bed doesn’t work it wakes up your brain, your brain does need to be able to wind down before you can sleep.
Also to much exercise before bed can make it hard to sleep.
According to Chinese Medicine, there are a few reasons why we cannot get to sleep. An imbalance in your heart energy, Liver energy or your Yin and Yang is not in harmony. The Heart houses the Mind and the liver houses the ethereal soul if they are not happy you can’t sleep. When the Liver and Heart are nourished you have a good night sleep and should be ready to jump out of bed full of energy in the morning. The Yin is more about resting and the Yang is more about moving.
Acupuncture can help by calming the mind tonfiying the heart and pacifying the liver to house the Ethereal Soul peacefully. Alongside lifestyle changes and dietary advice and exercise research shows acupuncture can help you achieve a good night sleep.
My Top Tips to get a good night sleep
- Make sure you are comfortable in your bedroom
- Burn some essential oils, Lavender is great
- Make sure your room is not too hot or too cold
- Don’t do strenuous exercise just before bed
- Leave all devices out of your room
- If you use your phone as an alarm clock, stop! Buy yourself an alarm clock
- Do the Acupressure points
- Make sure the room is dark so your body knows its sleep time. This is important if you do shift work
- If you are worried you will forget something important, have a notebook by your bed and write it down, then it will be there for when you wake in the morning
- Read a book before you go to sleep
What do you do to help you sleep? please leave a comment
Written by Lucy Townsley Lic TCM
Like us on Facebook